The Melton Mowbray Pork Pie Association was formed in 1998 to gain Protected Geographical Indication (PGI) status for the world-famous Melton Mowbray Pork Pie.
We are a group of eleven producers of the genuine Melton Mowbray Pork Pie, based in the region around Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire and believe passionately that we need to protect this world famous product.
We were awarded Protected Geographical Indication status in 2009 and now act to co-ordinate the management of the registration, its standards and inspections.
- Protect the integrity of the Melton Mowbray Pork Pie and raise standards in the production of the pies.
- Protect the consumer from being misled about the provenance and quality of the Melton Mowbray Pork Pies.
- Promote the Melton Mowbray Pork Pie so that as many people as possible are able to try this famous regional food.
- Encourage growth and investment in the rural economy through promotion to the consumer of the Melton Mowbray Pork Pie as the guaranteed and
- Protect the good name of the town of Melton Mowbray and therefore protect its important tourist economy.
- Reinforce the credentials of Melton Mowbray as the heart of an important rural economy.
- Protect the jobs and investment dependent on the Melton Mowbray Pork Pie.
- Promote our rural region and fine food heritage through the ongoing support of the Melton Mowbray Pork Pie.
- Support the wider initiative to recognise the importance of regional foods.
We continue to work hard to raise the profile of the Melton Mowbray Pork Pie and recognise the importance of our regional food heritage.
We are also the organisers and hosts of the British Pie Awards. For more information please visit www.britishpieawards.co.uk